I understand why Jesus smashed the tables in the Temple courtyard. I could smash a few myself. There simply comes a time when enough is enough. When every rational and civil attempt to right the wrongs has failed.
- Members of Congress have gone home for Christmas. Really?
- The President and his family are vacationing in Hawaii. Really?
- We’re told we’re in an economic recovery and should believe the numbers… not our personal experience. Really?
- Congress has a better healthcare plan that the rest of us. Really?
- Sasha and Malia have guards with guns to protect them at school. Really?
- The children of many Congressman and Senators go to private schools with enhanced security. Really?
- In 2000, then President Bill Clinton requested $60 million in federal funding for a program called “COPS in Schools” that does exactly what the NRA has now proposed and which the media is currently mocking. Really?
There is such a thing as righteous anger. Righteousness, as I define it, is the “rightful use of energy.” When energy is properly utilized and directed so that both the intent and the outcome are in alignment with eliminating that which is diseased and corrupted, then such use is necessary. As our “leaders” vacation and provide themselves with exceptions, exemptions, protections and perks unavailable to the rest of society, I am reminded of Nero fiddling while Rome burned.
At the moment I have but one prayer: “Please, God, show me the way to the tables.”